The Kloster Indersdorft displaced persons camp opened in July 1945. By mid-September, 1945, 192 boys and girls from thirteen nations, including 49 Jewish children, were sheltered at Kloster Indersdorf, more than double what had been anticipated. Over the next year, the numbers increased to over 300.
Five hours each day were allocated to education. Teachers were drawn from the staff as well as the local community. Many of the children had few or no literacy skills; they also benefitted from art, music, and gymnastics classes. ORT (an association for the promotion of skilled trades) offered a tailoring class. Classes were often also available in auto mechanics, carpentry, typewriting, nursing, and other vocational skills.