The Ravensbrück concentration camp was the largest concentration camp for women in the German Reich. The SS required Ravensbrück prisoners to perform forced labor. Starting in the summer of 1942, prisoners were also subjected to unethical medical experiments. The SS constructed a gas chamber in Ravensbrück in early 1945.
We would like to thank The Crown and Goodman Family and the Abe and Ida Cooper Foundation for supporting the ongoing work to create content and resources for the Holocaust Encyclopedia. View the list of all donors.