August 15, 1941
Kovno Ghetto Sealed
German authorities seal off the Kovno (Kaunas; Yiddish: Kovne) ghetto, with approximately 30,000 Jewish inhabitants. The ghetto was in an area of small primitive houses and no running water. It had two parts, called the “small” and “large” ghetto, separated by Paneriu Street. Each ghetto was overcrowded, enclosed by barbed wire, and closely guarded.