The Fürth displaced persons (DP) camp was located in the American-occupied zone of the Bamberg District in Fürth and organized from fifty requisitioned German houses. It held primarily Jewish survivors of the Holocaust.
The camp maintained a Talmud Torah (religious elementary school) and a kosher kitchen, supervised by Rabbi Spiro, which fed up to 200 persons, as well as a mikvah (Jewish ritual bath). At its peak in December 1945, the camp housed 850 Jews but by July 1949, only 76 remained.
Fürth ceased operations on July 15, 1949.
Critical Thinking Questions
- What challenges did survivors face in the DP camps?
- What challenges did the Allies face in establishing and supervising DP camps?
- What responsibilities do (or should) other nations have regarding refugees from war and genocide?