Ziegenhain was a displaced persons (DP) camp in the Frankfurt district of the American-occupied zone. During the war, Ziegenhain had been a prisoner of war camp. Beginning in June 1947, it housed a TB sanatorium.
Like many other camps, Ziegenhain had a Talmud Torah (religious elementary school), a synagogue, a mikvah (Jewish ritual bath), a synagogue, and a kosher kitchen.
The Jewish population of Ziegenhain averaged 2,020 individuals per year for 1946 and 1947. Many DPs there saw Ziegenhain as a “way station” on their way to Palestine and held demonstrations demanding free immigration to their hoped for destination.
The camp closed in November 1947.
Series: Displaced Persons Camps
Critical Thinking Questions
- What challenges did survivors face in the DP camps?
- What challenges did the Allies face in establishing and supervising DP camps?
- What responsibilities do (or should) other nations have regarding refugees from war and genocide?