May 15, 1944
Deportation from Theresienstadt
On May 15–18, 1944, German authorities deport 7,003 German, Austrian, and Czech Jews from the camp-ghetto Theresienstadt to Auschwitz-Birkenau.
German authorities deported thousands of Jews from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz-Birkenau in order to “thin out” the Jewish population of Theresienstadt in preparation for the visit of representatives of the International Red Cross and the Danish Red Cross. Upon arrival in Auschwitz-Birkenau, the prisoners on these transports were incarcerated in a “Theresienstadt family camp” in Birkenau.